Guys, summer may actually be coming! I know this because my kitchen was HOT while I was baking. To be clear, I am no where near complaining, espeically since we only get a small handful of warm days in Chicago each spring. However, if this keeps up next week may be a no-bake week 🙂
One of my summer addictions is iced coffee with hazelnut flavored syrup. Not the cleanest of treats, I realize, but I just LOVE me some hazelnut.
I decided to combine a few of my favorite things so I could have an excuse to bake with something Hazelnut flavored. The recipe itself is pretty basic and forward, and if you don’t like hazelnut you can easily swap out regular peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter, or anything else! However, Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter really is the jam. I would even say it makes the recipe worth it.
This recipe is suitable for almost anyone – no flour, no eggs, no butter, and no dairy! Not too shabby.
Let’s do it!
- 2 1/2 cups of gluten free oats ground into flour, or almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- 3 extra ripe bananas (PS If you don’t have ripe bananas, did you know you can actually ripen fresh bananas in the oven?? Genius)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup Agave
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 packet of Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and spray a 8×8 pan with EVOO spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda + salt) and set aside.
- In a Vitamix or food processor, blend together bananas, agave, vanilla and applesauce.
- Combine wet + dry ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Spread batter into pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Make chocolate drizzle by combining coconut oil with cocoa and drizzle over the pan. (This part is optional, but I feel like the bitterness of the chocolate is actually a nice compliment to the sweetness of the hazelnut butter.)
- Also optional (but definitely worth it!) cut the corner of the Hazelnut Butter packet and spread across the bars.
- Final step: DEVOUR these 🙂 YUM!